We were so excited to be able to bring the School together to mark our 150th year this term. The festivities culminated in a celebratory party for all the pupils with games, a special picnic lunch and a delicious chocolate cake big enough to hold 150 candles!
“150 years young!” commented Mrs Connor-Earl at the party. ‘There is so much to celebrate and these 150 years are a major achievement for the whole community. We’re immensely proud of our progress since 1871. Together, we continue to move the School forward to ensure that we will always provide the very best educational opportunities for our pupils.”
St Mary’s was established in 1871 in Hampstead. Since 1926, the School has flourished in our beautiful Grade II Listed house on Fitzjohn’s Avenue. Our magnificent Chapel was added in 1939 and remains at the heart of our remarkable school.
Our pupils were reminded that it was only 150 years ago that the vast majority of girls did not go to school, and were unable to attend university or have a career. As the oldest prep school in Hampstead, we are immensely proud of our role in the advancement of women’s education in this country.
As we look forward, we can only wonder what the next 150 years will bring. But, we are confident that the School’s progressive ethos and exceptional curriculum will ensure that our girls continue to thrive and be their best selves.